Unless you have a tiny email list, sending an email marketing campaign requires specialist email marketing software. You will also need a strategy for building your list in a way that does not alienate your customers and or falls foul of the law.
Choosing Email Marketing Software
Email marketing software is a dedicated software tool for managing email marketing campaigns. There are many on the market, such as Mailchimp and Klaviyo, and you can always change provider later. Functionality includes:
- List building. Forms for collecting emails addresses.
- List management. Managing lists, including unsubscribe requests.
- Broadcasts. Email campaigns sent to all or a segment of your list.
- Flows. Rule-based automatic emails.
- Analytics. Reporting on your email campaign performance.
As an online retailer, you should use a system that specialises in eCommerce. Factors to consider include:
- Cost. Email software is usually charged by the number of names in your list or the number of outgoing emails.
- Usability. The system should enable you to create emails without the need for coding and highly configurable flows.
- Integration. Choose a system that integrates with your current eCommerce system. This will enable you to push customer data directly into your email, allowing for a more personalised experience.