A blog is a great way to publish news and communicate with customers. They also allow fresh content to be created that gets picked up by search engines.
Creating a blog
Multiple blogs can be created by visiting Online store > Blog posts and clicking ‘Manage Blogs’.
A blog’s layout is based on a template. By default, the blog will use the default Blog template. Creating new templates requires editing the site code.
Adding a post
Posts can be added from Online store > Blog posts. A post has the following elements
- Title. Make this a meaningful title that includes relevant keywords
- Blog content. Text as well as media
- Excerpt. A summary of the post which is shown on the blog homepage in the ‘Blogroll’
- Featured image. This will appear at the top of the blog post
- Theme. The layout of each blog post is determined by a theme. See not above
Hopefully, your blog will be popular and gets lots of comments. Comments can be managed by visiting Online store > Blog posts and clicking ‘Manage Comments’.
Comments can be disabled or allowed at the blog level.
Search engine preview
Shopify shows a search engine preview (i.e. how pages will appear on search engines) at both the blog and the individual posts level. This includes
- Title. This is the <title> tag for the page
- Description. This is the meta description
These will be set by default to the post title and excerpt but can be optimised if desired.